Just as Social Centre has been a pioneer in spreading the “Ridge to Valley” Watershed programme, it promotes healthy soil, healthy plant, healthy animal, and healthy agricultural production through sustainable and renewable means – free from all chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
Social Centre aims that every farmer should grow food by adopting sustainable organic farming practices, based on the general principle of organic food production which:
- protects the environment, minimizes soil degradation and erosion, decreases pollution, optimizes biological productivity and promotes good health;
- maintains long-term soil fertility by optimizing conditions for biological activity within the soil;
- maintains biological diversity within the system;
- recycles materials and resources to the greatest extent possible within the enterprise, provides proper care that promotes health and meets the behavioural needs of livestock;
- prepares organic products, emphasizing careful processing and handling methods in order to maintain the organic integrity and vital qualities of the products at all stages of production; and
- relies on renewable resources in locally organized agricultural systems.